What To Expect From Your Child’s First Dentist Appointment
If you’re bringing your child to the dentist for the first time, you may not be sure what’s going to happen. Here’s a brief overview of the process, and what you and your little one can expect.
- Teeth and gum cleaning – Depending on your child’s age, they’ll sit on the chair on their own, or you can hold them in your lap. One of our team members will gently clean their gums and any teeth that have erupted to help keep their smile healthy and bright.
- X-rays (if needed) – If necessary, we will also recommend a set of x-rays. However, X-rays are usually not needed for younger kids unless they have a high risk of tooth decay or a history of tooth decay, and also are not usually taken until your child is at least 2-3 years old.
- Dental exam – Dr. Alex will enter the room and meet you and your little one. Then, she will examine your child’s mouth and check on their teeth and gums to assess their oral health.
- Questions and answers – Dr. Alex will discuss her results with you. She can answer any questions you may have about caring for your child’s mouth, brushing, diet, and other subjects, too. Our goal at Kids Tooth Team is to empower parents and kids to maintain healthy smiles, and knowledge is an essential part of this mission!
- Schedule follow-ups – Next, you’ll schedule any necessary follow-ups at Kids Tooth Team. Usually, this will just be your child’s next six-month teeth cleaning and oral exam, but if Dr. Alex notices any issues with your child’s oral health, they may need further care like dental sealants, fluoride treatments, or fillings.
Your Child Needs To Continue Seeing The Dentist Every 6 Months
Just like any other type of checkup, bringing your child to the dentist is not a “one and done” thing! Once you bring your child to Kids Tooth Team for the first time, you need to continue visiting our office every six months.
Visiting us for regular checkups allows Dr. Alex and our team to track their oral development, look out for early signs of problems like cavities, and ensure that your little one’s mouth is completely healthy.
With flexible scheduling at our office, we make it easy to bring your little one into our office for their next visit. After your child’s first visit. just stop by our front office on the way out, and we’ll schedule their next appointment with Dr. Alex right away.
Understanding The Benefits Of Preventive Care For Kids
Wondering why it’s so important to bring your child to Kids Tooth Team every six months for a checkup? Here are just a few reasons why you should be visiting us for preventive care.
- Track oral development – Your child’s mouth changes a lot as they grow. When you bring your little one into our office every six months for a checkup, Dr. Alex can check on their oral development, and make sure everything is on track and looks good.
- Catch cavities and other issues early – Cavities are the single most common preventable childhood disease in kids of all ages. Teeth cleanings help prevent cavities, and six-month oral exams help catch them early if they are developing, ensuring your child can get treatment right away.
- Save time and money – By preventing oral health issues like cavities or catching them early, preventive dentistry helps you save time and money by avoiding further dental care. Preventive care such as teeth cleanings and oral exams are also always covered by dental insurance plans for kids under the age of 18.
- Build relationships – Over time, you and your child will both get to know Dr. Alex and the team at Kids Tooth Team. We’ll build real relationships. This makes dental care less scary for your child, and also allows our team to get to know them and the unique challenges facing their oral health.
- Sets your child up for success – Starting proper dental care and oral hygiene from a young age means that you’ll be setting your little one up for success. They’ll build a lifetime of good oral hygiene habits and a healthy attitude toward dental care that will stick with them for the rest of their lives.
Ready To Begin Your Child’s Journey To A Healthy Mouth? Come To Kids Tooth Team!
Whether you’re a new parent, new to the area, or you just haven’t yet found the time to bring your child to see the dentist, Kids Tooth Team is here to help. We’re always accepting new patients in Buda and South Austin.
Contact us online or give us a call to schedule an appointment today. We have three office locations in Buda, TX, Kyle, and South Austin, TX. We’re excited to meet you and your child, and provide them with the expert pediatric dental care they need to keep their mouth healthy.